Saturday, October 18, 2008

Pig Roast at Feast: The Story of Deux Petits Cochons Joined by a Bunch of Houston Chowhounds

Last night I had the pleasure of dining with my Houston Chowhound friends at Feast. There were about thirty of us at four different tables in the private rooms upstairs. We were fortunate to have a cool Houston evening to accompany the festivities and we were able to hang out on the balcony as well.


We gathered to celebrate the birthday of fellow HouCHie JavaPeg. What a celebration we had, sampling, or should I say stuffing ourselves with food from Feast.


Feast: 219 Westheimer Road, Houston, TX 77006 713.529.7788



Menu


Canapés:




(top to bottom) Pork Back Fat, Chicken Liver with Gherkins, Welsh Rabbit or Rarebit,Sweetbreads with Horseradish and Sweet Potatoes



First Course:





Baked Scallops



Salad:


Garden Salad (not pictured) and Pork Cheek Salad with Dandelion Greens and Pork Fat Croutons


Mains:







Roast Pig and Braised Lamb Shanks


Side Dishes:




Brussel Sprouts, Carrots, Kale with Anchovies, Mashed Potatoes and Stuffing


Dessert:





Peach and Date Crumble with Vanilla Custard



Quick Critique -


I like the slightly spicy Welsh Rabbit (no rabbit in it) or Rarebit, loved the Chicken Liver, the sweetbreads were overpowered by the horseradish and so difficult to eat that I saw one go flying across the room and Pork Fat - very different and tasty.


The baked scallops in a cheesy béchamel sauce served on scallop shells were delicious, but could have been a bit warmer (despite the fact that I went back for seconds and thirds.)


The garden salad was fresh and crisp but slightly underdressed.


The pork salad was outrageous, crunchy from the pork and earthy from the greens.


The roast pig was moist and delicious. We had a lot of fun eating through the head, I got to eat one of the ears and some of the check, other were diving in for parts unknown to me as edible in the past (let’s leave it at that.)


The lamb shank was a winner, spiced with mace and juniper and so delicate the meat fell off the bone.


The side dishes were wonderful. We all were raving over the brussel sprouts and the kale with anchovies. The stuffing and mashed potatoes were also good, just not the center of attention at my table. The carrots were pretty and cooked simply.


By the time the dessert of Peach and Date Crumble with Vanilla Custard came around, I could hardly eat another bite. Despite the fact that I was disappointed it was not a chocolate dessert, I loved the warm, fruity and not to sweet taste of the cobbler, the way the flavors blended together, as well as the silky texture of the dessert.


The service was excellent and of course the company, it can not get much better.


Now I am forced to go eat the leftovers, sorry you can not join me in my second feast in two days.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

FP - GREAT pictures!

neverfull said...

also spelled welsh rarebit ;-)
lovely writeup joanne!