Saturday, April 23, 2011

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving. - Laozi

I sure hope Laozi knew what he was talking about because my plans are kind of sketchy right now.

Welcome armchair travelers: fasten your seat-belts because this is going to be another one of my great adventures and you will have a front row view of what is going on. I look forward to you joining me for the next weeks, as I document my adventures traveling through China by myself on a budget.

Wednesday begins my next travel adventure. To say that I am excited, is an understatement, I am ECSTATIC.

This time I am off to China. It is massive country, obviously, one with which I am struggling on getting a handle of where I am headed once I get there. So far I have had some good advice, let’s see what transpires once I am there and start heading from Shanghai towards Chengdu.


The Preparations

Flights

I am booked: Houston to London to Shanghai and return the middle of June Beijing-Vancouver-Phoenix-Houston. On the way out I fly Continental, then Virgin Air.

I arrive in Shanghai on Friday after a layover in London. A special shout out goes to Continental Airlines for telling me in my itinerary that I was arriving in London and Shanghai on Thursday, when in fact I arrive in Shanghai on Friday, therefore messing up my reservations for accommodations in Shanghai. On the other hand, fortunately, I was able to cash in my Continental frequent flyer mile enabling me to fly business class, most likely my last brush with luxury. But one never knows?

Packing

The packing ritual has begun. At this point I have pretty much packed the large backpack, the day pack is next.





I think I will be taking:

  • 2 pairs of travelers pants
  • Skirt
  • Long sleeve shirt
  • 3 camisoles
  • 2 short sleeve button down shirts
  • Black t-shirt
  • Hoodie
  • Windbreaker/rain jacket
  • Black scarf
  • Long underwear
  • Pareo (doubles as a sheet, makeshift towel and cover-up)
  • Sunhat
  • 3 bras
  • 4 panties
  • 2 sets of socks
  • 2 sets of pajamas
  • Umbrella
  • Day hikers
  • Chaco sandals
  • 12 packages of tissues
  • Toilet paper
  • Converters for electrical plugs, 1 Euro, 2 Chinese, 1 American 3 prong to 2 prong
  • Charger that works with Kindle and Blackberry
  • Headlamp
  • Bike lock
  • Duck tape
  • Pens, paperclip[p, rubber bands
  • Plastic bags
  • Metal chop sticks and spoon
  • Pocket knife
  • Business cards
  • Suntan lotion
  • Deet
  • Med kit:

o Cipro

o Malaria

o Ibuprofen

o Acetaminophen

o Jet Lag herbal medicine

o Anti- diarrhea medicine

o Pepto-Bismol

o Cough drops

o Earplugs

o 2 disposable syringes and alcohol wipes

o Band aids

o Antihistamine

o Decongestant

o Anti-itch cream

o Benadryl creme

o Mosquito coil

o Baggies

o Cortisone creme

  • Money belt
  • China Guidebook
  • Kindle
  • DLSR camera with 2 lenses
  • Mini laptop
  • Back-up drive
  • Extra batteries for Blackberry, camera and headlamp
  • 2 Books on history of China
  • Deck of cards
  • Compass
  • Toiletries

o Hairbrush

o Comb

o Deodorant

o Soap

o Shampoo

o Razor

o Dental floss

o Toothbrush

o Tooth paste

o Night guard

o Eyeshades

o Earplugs

  • Wash cloth
  • Eyeglass case
  • Copies of all credit cards and passport
  • Eyeglass prescription
  • Passport with Chinese visa
  • 2 credit cards and 2 ATM cards
  • Drivers license
  • $150 in cash
  • Small diary

There may be a few adjustments, some technology additions and hopefully I can eliminate some clothes and maybe some stuff in the med kit, because it feels like I am taking a lot.

Accommodations

In Shanghai, I am staying at Le Tour Traveler's Rest Youth Hostel for around $11 a night in a 6 bed female dorm room. I have made arrangements for the hostel in Shanghai to pick me up at the airport. Past experience has taught me that after traveling for two days, I am usually a bit disoriented and I would rather skip the challenge of finding my hostel.


Look for my next post after Wednesday. I will be available on Skype as well as email: Cyberprincess713.

3 comments:

Gary R Wise said...

Have a great, safe trip! :D

Dorothy said...

I'm excited to share your adventure. Travel safely and post often!

Marge said...

Hope it's a fun adventure: always fun, always an adventure!